1946 to 2000 Western Sydney - an outline history

1946 Holroyd Greystanes House demolished by NSW Blue Metal Company
1946 Blue Mts Municipality of Katoomba proclaimed a city
1946 Southern LGAs Construction started on Warragamba Dam
1946 Penrith Overhead cable system built from Emu Plains to Warragamba to transport gravels for dam construction.
1947 Blue Mts The City of Blue Mountains formed by amalgamation of Shire of Blue Mountains, City of Katoomba and Municipality of Blackheath
1948 Fairfield Amalgamation of Fairfield and Cabramatta/Canley Vale councils.
1948 Auburn Lidcombe and Auburn Councils merged as Auburn Municipal Council
1948 Auburn Funeral trains stopped running to the Necropolis.
1951 Fairfield Migrant camp constructed at Cabramatta
1951 Holroyd Cumberland County Council plan dictated that western third of Holroyd remain green belt and designated Yennora as industrial area
1951 All County of Cumberland Planning Scheme, with creation of Green Belt around the metropolitan area, and forcing infill development within it.
1955 Blacktown; Penrith Railway line electrified
1957 Blue Mts Scenic Skyway opened
1957 Blacktown Demolition of Bungarribee House (1825) for an overseas telecommunication facility.
1958 Fairfield Club Marconi opened.
1959 Fairfield Lansdowne Motel built - claimed to be the first motel in Australia.
1959 Penrith Penrith declared a city
1959 All Release of some land from green belts for sale gave rise to expectation that rest would be sold - speculation and removal of productive farming land to speculative holdings awaiting permission to subdivide.
1959 Liverpool 59 square miles of green belt land released.
1960 Liverpool Liverpool declared a city
1960 Western LGAs Prospect County Council takes over electricity distribution
1960 Western LGAs Warragamba Dam opened
1960 Liverpool First motor sport event at Warwick Farm
1962 Auburn Silverwater bridge completed
1963 Penrith Emu Plains transferred from Blue Mountains City Council to Penrith City Council
1963 Camden Camden tram line closed
1964 Liverpool Housing development of Green Valley
1964 Auburn Newington Asylum closed
1965 Auburn Newington transferred to Prisons Department.
1966 Blacktown Housing Commission development started at Mt Druitt
1966 Blacktown Mount Druitt New Town project was announced by NSW government as a plan for the Housing Commission and War Service Homes Division to build homes for 70,000 people.
1968 Campbelltown Railway line from Liverpool to Campbelltown electrified
1968 Campbelltown Campbelltown declared a city
1968 All State Planning Authority released Sydney Region Outline Plan establishing guidelines for development of Greater Sydney. It permitted extensive re-zoning of rural lands for urban uses, with corridor development out from Sydney along west, south-west and northern routes - with satellite cities on the corridors.
1969 Auburn Female prisoners transferred from Long Bay to new women's prison, Mulawa, at Silverwater
1971 Penrith Completion of new western freeway from Prospect to Regentville.
1973 Campbelltown South Western Freeway opened
1973 Camden; Campbelltown New Cities proposal for Campbelltown, Camden and Appin as south-west urban corridor, to be co-ordinated by Macarthur Development Board
1974 Blacktown Blacktown to Richmond railway electrified
1974 Blacktown State Brickworks established a new works on Richmond Road, Blacktown.
1974 Auburn NSW College of Paramedical Studies, later known as Cumberland College, moved to Lidcombe
1975 Baulkham Hills Sydney Woollen Mills (Darling Mills) closed
1977 Liverpool Chipping Norton Lake Authority Act passed - takes several years to create lake
1982 Liverpool Conversion of Casula Powerhouse into an arts centre
1983 Blacktown Parklea Prison opened
1983 Auburn Land set aside at Homebush Bay for park - completed as Bicentennial Park for 1988.
1986 Blacktown Australia's Wonderland opened
1990 Blacktown First race at Eastern Creek Raceway
1991 Holroyd Holroyd becomes a city
1995 Auburn Sydney International Aquatic Centre opened.
1997 Auburn Lidcombe Hospital closed