1850 - 1899

1853 Liverpool Benevolent Society of New South Wales took over Liverpool hospital
1855 Auburn; Parramatta Sydney to Parramatta Junction (Granville) railway opened
1855 Penrith First bridge over Nepean River swept away by floods soon after construction
1856 Fairfield Fairfield railway station opened - only one between Granville and Liverpool.
1856 Liverpool Liverpool Railway station opened
1856 Southern LGAs Construction of railway from Granville to Liverpool
1856 Liverpool Railway from Granville to Liverpool opened
1856 Liverpool Moore Theological College opened at Liverpool, established under the will of Thomas Moore. It moved to Camperdown in 1888
1856 Parramatta Hunt's Creek dammed to provide water supply (Lake Parramatta)
1858 Campbelltown Railway station opened at Campbelltown
1858 Penrith James Bennett established a wheelwright's shop behind his hotel at St Marys and his sons began building table top wagons.
1859 Parramatta Subdivision of Government Domain
1860 Auburn Newington estate purchased by William Dean & Co
1860 Hawkesbury First bridge over Hawkesbury at Richmond built
1860 Blacktown Railway extended from Parramatta to Blacktown
1860 Blacktown Railway reached Blacktown
1861 Hawkesbury John Tebbutt, local astronomer, discovered new comet
1861 Parramatta Borough of Parramatta incorporated
1863 Auburn Newington House leased by Wesleyan Methodist Church for a school. It later moved to Stanmore.
1863 Hawkesbury Tebbutt built the first of four observatories at his home at Windsor, declined offer of Government Astronomer
1863 Hawkesbury Construction started on railway from Blacktown to Windsor
1863 Southern LGAs County of Cumberland wheat crop destroyed by rust, a fungus
1863 Camden Impact of rust turned farming to haymaking, with the wheat and oats cut before rust developed. Hay sent to Sydney market
1863 Penrith Railway reached Penrith
1863 Penrith Railway yards at Penrith were largest outside the metropolitan area - a focus for engineering activity based around the route up the mountains.
1864 Hawkesbury Railway line from Blacktown to Richmond opened
1864 Baulkham Hills Railway reached Windsor, changing river traffic up stream
1865 Blacktown Rooty Hill lands of Church and School corporation auctioned.
1866 Hawkesbury School of Arts at Richmond opened by Premier, Sir Henry Parkes
1866 Blue Mts The Fish River Caves (later called Jenolan Caves) officially recognised as a government reserve.
1866 Blacktown The Barb, a horse trained by Judge Alfred Cheeke and Honest John Tait at Mount Druitt estate won the Melbourne Cup
1867 Auburn Haslam's Creek Cemetery opened - otherwise known as the Necropolis
1867 Hawkesbury Night services at St Matthew's Church of England at Windsor, lit by kerosene
1867 Hawkesbury Major flood - highest ever recorded - at the Hawkesbury
1867 Blue Mts Railway extended from Penrith to Wentworth Falls.
1867 Auburn Land set aside near Haslams Creek for a general cemetery for Sydney and imposing funeral station built.
1867 Blue Mts Western Railway opened to Weatherboard (Wentworth Falls)
1867 Penrith Third bridge attempt over Nepean opened - Victoria Bridge, still in use.
1868 Penrith Werrington railway station opened as Parkes platform, a private station for Sir Henry Parkes who was living nearby
1868 Liverpool Paper mill, possibly first in Australia, opened at Collingwood.
1868 Liverpool Henry Haigh's Wool Scour built at Liverpool
1869 Fairfield Henry Whittaker of Orchardleigh estate, Old Guildford - prizes for red wine production.
1869 Blue Mts Completion of Great Zig Zag and extension of railway to Bowenfels
1870 Fairfield Thomas Ware Smart , businessman and politician, built Fairfield House near the railway station as a country retreat
1870 Fairfield Cabramatta railway station opened at junction of road from Cabramatta to Woodville Road.
1870 Baulkham Hills Darling Mills factory re-opened for cloth manufacturing
1870 Parramatta Development of Granville as major industrial area during 1870s, with textile manufacture, metal works and engineering, tanneries, flour mills, brickyards.
1870 Blacktown A horse tramway linked quarries on Prospect Hill with the main railway at Wentworthville. It was replaced with a railway link to Toongabbie station in 1910
1871 Fairfield Government sale of portions of Orphan School estate. Land sales encourage local orcharding and vineyards.
1871 Hawkesbury Borough of Windsor incorporated
1871 Hawkesbury Hawkesbury Race Club formed and held first meeting on old common at Clarendon
1871 Penrith Penrith incorporated as a municipality
1871 Blue Mts St Peter's Anglican church erected at Mount Victoria (the oldest church in the mountains)
1871 Penrith Penrith proclaimed a municipality
1872 Fairfield Canley Grange, home of Henry Parkes, built.
1872 Hawkesbury Borough of Richmond incorporated
1872 Liverpool Liverpool proclaimed a municipality
1872 Parramatta Parramatta Gas Company formed
1872 Holroyd A.T.Holroyd established Sherwood Tile Works
1872 Holroyd Municipality of Prospect and Sherwood incorporated
1874 Hawkesbury Great Fire of Windsor destroyed major part of town (53 buildings)
1874 Blue Mts Astronomy station established at Woodford to observe the transit of Venus
1875 Blue Mts Eccleston Du Faur purchased land at Mount Wilson
1875 Blue Mts Eccleston Du Faur established artists camp in the Grose Valley
1876 Holroyd Railway station established at Guildford
1876 Blue Mts Charles Moore built Moorecourt at Springwood.
1877 Fairfield Cambridge House, built for local entrepreneur William Stimson. Designed by Varney Parkes.
1877 Blue Mts Henry Parkes moved to Faulconbridge
1877 Camden Aboriginal reserve established at Burragorang Valley on land purchased by public contributions. Known as St Joseph's Farm
1877 Campbelltown Horse racing at Menangle Park
1877 Blacktown Native Institution building at Blacktown purchased by Sydney Burdekin, a wealthy pastoralist, who named it Lloydhurst. He was mayor of Sydney in 1890 and it remained with his family until 1906.
1878 Fairfield Canley Vale railway station opened to assist Henry Parkes, living near by
1878 Auburn Haslams Creek renamed Rookwood.
1878 Blue Mts Coal mine established at Katoomba
1878 Blacktown Benjamin Richards built meatworks at Riverstone to intercept cattle coming from the inland.
1879 All Approval given to proceed with Upper Nepean Water Scheme.
1880s Fairfield Township of Fairfield subdivided by A.F.Smart
1880s Fairfield Tanneries along Prospect Creek at Smithfield
1880 Auburn Newington House purchased by government
1880 + Penrith Subdivisions of old estates in Penrith created oversupply of small town allotments
1880s Penrith Emu Gravel Company worked the gravels opposite Bird's Eye Corner
1880 Penrith Cleared land near major roads and railway became stock resting paddocks for animals on the way to the meat markets of Sydney
1880 All Tanning and fellmongery trades related to presence of huge mobs of livestock on way to market and meatworks.
1880 Blacktown Construction started on Prospect Reservoir and was completed 8 years later
1881 Campbelltown State Nursery opened - part of Botanic Gardens
1882 Auburn Powder magazine established at eastern end of Newington
1882 Camden Tramway from Campbelltown to Camden opened
1882 Campbelltown Municipal Council of Campbelltown formed
1882 Auburn Site acquired on Parramatta River at Newington for naval armaments depot.
1883 Auburn Newington House opened as asylum for aged and ill women who were moved there from Hyde Park Barracks.
1883 Parramatta Construction of Rose Hill race track started
1883 Parramatta Hudson Bros establish works at Granville
1883 Parramatta Jeanneret's tramway built to link Parramatta town to the river closer to Duck Creek due to silting of river
1883 Camden Major development of dairying at Camden to serve fresh milk markets rather than earlier butter and cheese production (impact of Fresh Food and Ice Company?)
1884 Fairfield Township of Cabramattta offered for auction
1884 Hawkesbury Streets of Windsor lit by gas
1884 Blue Mts The Six Foot Bridle Track from Katoomba to Jenolan Caves opened.
1884 Penrith Andrew Thompson established tannery at St Marys. by 1906 it was the larges in NSW.
1884 Blacktown Clydesdale house (1827) purchased by John Hardie, mayor of Sydney for his country retreat
1885 Auburn Subdivision of river lots of Newington as the Silverwater estate
1885 Auburn Government built a reformatory for boys on land at Lidcombe. It was never used for this purpose (Brush Farm being used instead?)
1885 Parramatta Granville incorporated
1886 Baulkham Hills Opening of Hawkesbury railway bridge affected traffic through Wiseman's Ferry
1886 Auburn Gas mains laid in Auburn
1887 Parramatta Industrial School for Girls opened at Parramatta in buildings of Roman Catholic Orphan School
1887 Blacktown Woodstock Fruit Cannery opened
1887 Blacktown Woodstock cannery in north Rooty Hill started canning fruit from Tasmania and Fiji, the inspiration of Walter Lamb, who was a director of the Colonial Sugar Refinery.
1888 Southern LGAs Completion of Upper Nepean Water Supply Scheme
1888 Fairfield Incorporation of Municipality of Smithfield and Fairfield.
1889 Liverpool Roman Catholic Girls Orphanage opened by Cardinal Moran.
1889 Blue Mts Katoomba gazetted a municipality
1889 Blue Mts Lilianfels, the country home of Sir Frederick and Lady Darley built at Katoomba
1889 Camden Camden Municipal Council proclaimed
1889 Liverpool First public horse race at Warwick Farm
1889 Penrith G.H. Cox of Winbourne constructed a water reservoir to irrigate his estate. The scheme was continued by his nephew A.W.Stephen on the Littlefields estate as the Mulgoa Irrigation settlement
1890 Liverpool Gas works opened in Liverpool and streets lit by gas.
1890 Baulkham Hills Phylloxera extensively damaged vineyards
1890 Penrith St Marys incorporated as a municipality
1890 Holroyd Grape vines, apples and other fruit trees flourish but soil is to clayey for orange trees.
1890 Fairfield Principal industries are tanneries, vineyards, orchards, market gardens and woodcutting (though less than in former years)
1890 Liverpool Principal industries are tanneries, paper mill, woolwash, vineyards, racing stables, wood cutting, quarries
1890 Liverpool Liverpool Council Gas works opened supplying gas for street lighting, shops, houses and churches
1890 Penrith St Marys became a municipality
1890 Penrith Electricity generator built at Penrith to supply town and district until connected to Sydney grid in 1931
1890 Blacktown James Angus purchased Minchinbury and developed it as a winery, selling to Penfolds Wines in 1912
1892 Fairfield Separation of Cabramatta and Canley Vale from Liverpool Municipality as new local government area
1892 Auburn Creation of Borough of Rookwood (later Municipality of Lidcombe)
1892 Auburn First council elected in Borough of Auburn
1892 Auburn Sisters of Charity bought Duncraggan Hall for St Joseph's Hospital
1892 Liverpool Cabramatta and Canley Vale separated from Liverpool to form a separate municipality
1892 Parramatta Clyde Engineering works opened
1893 Auburn Asylum for the Infirm and Destitute opened at Rookwood (later known as Lidcombe Hospital)
1893 Penrith Municipality of Mulgoa broke away from Penrith
1895 Fairfield Symons tile works opened, expanded into bricks, pipes.
1895 Penrith Municipality of Castlereagh broke away from Penrith
1896 Campbelltown Municipal Council of Ingleburn formed
1896 Parramatta Clyde to Carlingford railway opened
1897 Camden Silver mining in Burragorang Valley
1898 Blacktown By time of death of Ben Richards in 1898, Riverstone meat works was one of the largest meat exporters in New South Wales, processing meat by salting and smoking.