1810 - 1849

1810 Liverpool Town of Liverpool founded by Macquarie and named after Robert Banks Jenkinson, Second Lord Liverpool, English prime minister
1810 Hawkesbury Death of Andrew Thompson - first recorded burial in St Matthews Church of England cemetery
1810 Hawkesbury Macquarie's visit to the Hawkesbury - creation of five towns of Windsor, Richmond, Wilberforce, Pitt Town and Castlereagh
1810 Hawkesbury Macquarie's plans for the towns also included instructions on the houses - to be substantial buildings of brick or weatherboard - all at least nine feet high.
1810 Campbelltown Macquarie toured district and named it Airds after his wife's home in Scotland.
1810 Campbelltown Campbellfield at Minto granted to William Redfern
1810 Liverpool Eber Bunker built Collingwood - still standing
1810 Liverpool Macquarie founded the town of Liverpool. naming it after the Earl of Liverpool, then the British Secretary of State for the Colonies
1810 Baulkham Hills Castle Hill Lunatic asylum founded
1810 Camden Governor and Mrs Macquarie camped at Belgenny near the Macarthur hut
1810 Penrith First surveyed town in Penrith area was Castlereagh, established by Governor Macquarie
1810 Penrith Large land grants made in Mulgoa Valley with most of the valley granted by 1816.
1811 Campbelltown Lachlan Vale, Appin granted to William Broughton
1811 Liverpool Construction work on a schoolhouse and military barracks.
1811 Baulkham Hills Castle Hill farm converted to lunatic establishment by Governor Macquarie
1812 Camden Grants issued for Macquarie Gove (Hassal), Wivanhoe (Cowper); Birling (Lowe)
1812 Camden Government stock yards established at Cawdor
1813 Penrith Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth set out from their Nepean landholdings to find a route over the Blue Mountains
1813 Blue Mts Evans surveyed road over mountains and Cox built the Great Western road to Bathurst
1813 Hawkesbury At Richmond, a school house was erected and used as a chapel on Sundays.
1813 Blue Mts Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth succeed in finding a route over the Blue Mountains
1814 Liverpool Road from Sydney to Liverpool completed
1814 Blue Mts George Evans surveyed the route of Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth and travelled further west
1814 Penrith Government stockyard at Emu Plains on reserved land which became a nucleus for a police and military presence
1815 Blue Mts William Cox supervised a road gang which constructed a road over the mountains as far as Bathurst
1815 Blue Mts Governor Macquarie travelled over the new road to Bathurst, naming Springwood and Blackheath en route
1815 Camden Grants issued for Kirkham (Oxley); Denbigh (Hook), Harrington Park (Campbell); Orielton (Lord)
1815 Penrith Work on road linking Parramatta and Emu Plains was stimulated by Evan's road across the Blue Mountains, as Macquarie returned on the new Western road still under construction. Quickly established as main route.
1815 Blacktown Macquarie authorised construction of a two storey brick house for the superintendent of government stock at Rooty Hill. It was called Government House.
1816 Auburn Blanket and tweed manufacturing at Newington
1816 Campbelltown Aboriginal conflict at Campbelltown
1816 Campbelltown John Warby received land grant at Campbelltown
1816 Camden Captain Wallis attacked native camp near Broughton's farm Appin - Appin massacre
1816 Parramatta Native Institution, a school for Aboriginal children, established at Parramatta under William Shelley
1816 Blacktown Macquarie granted land to Aboriginal guides Colebee and Nurragingy
1817 Hawkesbury Foundation stone of St Matthews church laid by Macquarie
1817 Penrith First Methodist chapel in Australia built at Castlereagh
1817 Camden Road from Sydney to Liverpool completed
1817 Liverpool Glenfield house built by Charles Throsby
1817 Baulkham Hills Solomon Wiseman's grant at Wiseman's Ferry
1817 Penrith Weatherboard court house, lock up and travelling stock paddock formed core of new village of Penrith in 1817, on higher ground than the river ford.
1818 Hawkesbury Cox built new road from Prospect to Richmond, latter called Blacktown-Richmond Road
1818 Hawkesbury Rouse Hill House built by Richard Rouse
1818 Liverpool Foundation stone laid for St Lukes church
1818 Parramatta Female Orphan School opened at Parramatta
1819 Auburn Limeworks at Newington
1819 Camden Macquarie ordered a road to be constructed south from Liverpool for 75 miles (120kms) to the limit of known settlement.
1819 Penrith Government resisted settlement west of Nepean River until 1819 when Emu Plains Agricultural Farm established as a convict establishment.
1819 Blacktown William Minchin granted land west of Rooty Hill which he called Minchinbury
1819 Blacktown William Cox built a second road to the Hawkesbury in 1819 - the Blacktown -Richmond Road. It was remade in 1822
1820 Hawkesbury Convict barracks built at Windsor
1820 Campbelltown Macquarie returned to southern district and established town called Campbelltown after his wife's maiden name
1820 Campbelltown Capt Brooks takes up residence at Denham Court
1820 Parramatta New Female Factory constructed outside the town.
1821 Campbelltown School at Macquarie Fields opened by Rev Thomas Reddall
1822 Liverpool Foundations laid for Liverpool hospital, intended to serve wide area because of its good air and water.
1822 Baulkham Hills Pye's Lamb and Lark Inn, Baulkham Hills
1822 Parramatta First Agricultural Society in Australia formed at Parramatta
1822 Parramatta Governor Brisbane's observatory built at Parramatta
1822 Blacktown Construction of road from Prospect to Richmond (the Blacktown Road ) was the first road built on the new principles of McAdam - a macadamised road
1823 Hawkesbury Windsor convict barracks converted to a hospital
1823 Hawkesbury Archibald Bell established alternate route over mountains from Richmond
1823 Campbelltown St Peters Church Campbelltown opened
1823 Blacktown Native Institution moved from Parramatta to Richmond Road, area becoming known as Black town
1823 Blue Mts Archibald Bell found an alternative route over the mountains through Kurrajong
1823 Blue Mts Collits's Inn opened at the foot of Mount York. Pierce Collits was an emancipist constable from Penrith
1823 Penrith Sir John Jamison built Regentville, a magnificent mansion that drew the attention of many colonial visitors
1824 Camden Hume and Hovell set out from Minto and Appin to explore country south to Port Phillip Bay
1824 Blacktown Bungarribee - a grant for John Campbell
1825 Fairfield James Busby, pioneer viticulturalist, planted grape vines at Orphan School estate.
1825 c Holroyd Kenyon's Road built by convicts from Mays Hill to Prospect Creek
1826 Fairfield Survey of Male Orphan School site
1826 Fairfield; Parramatta; Liverpool Parramatta to Liverpool road - now Smithfield Road - in use as main route to south.
1826 Hawkesbury; Baulkham Hills Great Northern Road built to link Sydney and its region to the Hunter Valley
1826 Campbelltown Frederick George James Fisher murdered at Campbelltown
1826 Baulkham Hills Castle Hill Lunatic asylum closed
1826 Baulkham Hills Bridge at Darling Mills built (Broken Back Bridge)
1826 Blacktown Australia's first native born poet - CharlesTompson - published his book of verses. His home was Clydesdale.
1827 Baulkham Hills first punt at Wiseman's ferry
1827 Blue Mts The Weatherboard Inn opened at Wentworth Falls and for many years the area was known as Weatherboard
1828 Hawkesbury Hobartville built by William Cox jr at Richmond
1828 Camden Heber Chapel at Cobbitty dedicated
1828 Blacktown Rooty Hill stock reserve, reduced in area to about 8,000 acres closed and transferred to Church and School Corporation.
1830 Fairfield Richard Sadlier, master of Male Orphan School, made first wine from grapes grown in Fairfield district.
1830 Liverpool Hospital completed
1830 Blue Mts The Pilgrim Inn at Blaxland was first licensed.
1831 Blue Mts The Valley Inn at Valley Heights licensed
1832 Auburn Blaxland's stone mansion house, Newington completed
1832 Parramatta King's School established at Parramatta
1832 Blue Mts Victoria Pass opened as alternative route to steep descent of Mount York
1832 Camden German vignerons working on Camden Park estate
1832 Camden Camden Park House built on ridge near earlier Belgenny.
1833 Fairfield Early alignment of roadway which later became Horsley Drive in use
1833 Fairfield Horsley Park developed by Blanche Weston, daughter of grantee Col George Johnston
1833 Campbelltown First water reservoir built at Campbelltown
1833 Blue Mts David Lennox completed construction of bridge at Lapstone Hill
1836 Fairfield Portion of Orphan School estate sold to John Ryan Brenan
1836 Hawkesbury Hawkesbury Benevolent Society established asylum for sick and poor
1836 Campbelltown Mt Gilead windmill built by Thomas Rose
1836 Liverpool Lansdowne Bridge, designed by David Lennox, opened by Governor Bourke. 1,000 convicts worked on its construction.
1837 Campbelltown James Ruse, pioneer of wheat farming, died and buried at St Johns cemetery
1837 Penrith Bishop Broughton chose a site at Penrith for a new church - St Stephens (even though there was little there to support such a large church at that time). Development seems to have followed the church.
1839 Parramatta Lennox Bridge, Parramatta, completed
1840 Fairfield Fairfield was named by Captain John Horsley after a place in Somerset, England.
1840 Campbelltown Macquarie Field house built for John Hosking
1840 Campbelltown Glenalvon House built for Michael Byrne
1840 Western LGAs Transportation of convicts ceased
1840 + Camden As better country found for sheep, local agriculture turned to wheat, maize, millet and later dairying
1840 Camden Extensive wheat growing in Camden district, and associated flour milling, until devastated by rust in 1861
1840 Camden Township site surveyed and offered for sale as half acre allotments following death of John Macarthur, who had resisted suggestions of a town
1841 Fairfield Smithfield Market housing estate offered for sale. Based around cattle market and wool market. Bad timing - depression
1841 Holroyd Cattle sale yards established on Wentworth estate, east of Prospect Creek by William Fullaghar. Major cattle sale yards for metropolitan Sydney until opening of Homebush Yards in 1880s.
1844 Baulkham Hills George Peat established ferry service across Hawkesbury River at Kangaroo Point.
1846 Auburn John Blaxland dies at Newington
1848 Fairfield German migrant Jacob Stein purchased land at Prospect Creek for vineyard, the first of a network of German vignerons.
1848 Parramatta Female Factory converted to asylum, initially for destitute but by the 1850s as asylum for the insane
1849 Blue Mts Toll gates established at Seventeen Mile Hollow (Linden) and Broughton's Waterhole (Mount Victoria)