1788 to 1810

1788 Auburn Phillip, Hunter, Bradley and others explore by land and river from Homebush Bay along Duck river
1788 Camden All the colony's cattle - four cows and two bulls - wander from Sydney settlement
1788 Baulkham Hills Phillip, Collins and others view Hawkesbury and Blue Mountains from Castle Hill area
1788 Parramatta Europeans explore Parramatta district; site at Rose Hill occupied
1788 Blue Mts Blue Mountains was the traditional country of the Gundungurra who lived in the Burragorang Valley and the gorges of the southern Blue Mountains. The Dharug lived in the northern mountains, including on the main ridge
1789 Hawkesbury Phillip explored and named Hawkesbury River
1789 Parramatta Rose Hill packet, first vessel for Parramatta River trade, launched
1789 Parramatta first wheat crop harvested at Rose Hill
1789 Blue Mts Lt William Dawes crossed the Nepean and reached the vicinity of Faulconbridge-Linden
1789 Penrith Captain Watkin Tench led an exploratory party from Parramatta which reached the Nepean River, named by Governor Phillip.
1789 Penrith Ample evidence of Aboriginal activity along the banks of the Nepean river - hunting huts, marks on trees, possum traps and decoys for birds
1790 Parramatta Town of Parramatta laid out
1790 Parramatta First vice-regal country residence built at Parramatta
1790 Penrith Nepean forded and tentative exploration in to the mountains.
1791 Parramatta Rose Hill renamed Parramatta
1791 Parramatta Toongabbie convict station formed
1791 Parramatta James Ruse's grant issued
1791 Blacktown Thirteen exconvicts granted land at base of Prospect Hill - the first major independent farming settlement?
1791 Parramatta Toongabbie founded as a government farm in 1791
1792 Auburn Land grants to free settlers arriving on the Bellona give Auburn its earliest name - Liberty Plains.
1792 Northern LGAs The line of Old Windsor Road was marked as early as 1792 and the road completed in 1794
1793 Parramatta Elizabeth Farm built
1794 Hawkesbury 22 settlers established at junction of Hawkesbury and South Creek
1794 Hawkesbury First track between Green Hills and Sydney - Old Windsor Road
1794 Parramatta Road to Parramatta from Sydney built
1794 Blacktown Matthew and Martha Pearce arrived as free settlers and were granted 160 acres which they called Kings Langley Farm.
1795 Camden Runaway cattle discovered at the Cowpastures
1795 Baulkham Hills first farm at Sackville Reach
1795 Blue Mts Matthew Everingham's exploration of the Blue Mountains reached Mt Irvine or Mt Tomah
1796 Blue Mts George Bass's travels along lower Burragorang Valley, almost reaching Kanangra Walls
1797 Auburn; Parramatta Sydney to Parramatta road built
1798 Liverpool First land grants in Liverpool on George's River at Chipping Norton
1799 Hawkesbury First recorded flood at the Hawkesbury
1799 Baulkham Hills Grant to Andrew McDougall at Baulkham Hills
1800 Baulkham Hills Grant to George Suttor at Chelsea Farm, Baulkham Hills
1801 Hawkesbury Andrew Thompson built first bridge over South Creek, Windsor
1801 Baulkham Hills John and Elizabeth Macarthur acquire Bella Vista, Seven Hills
1801 Blacktown Joseph Foveaux sold his farm and flocks in the district of Toongabbie to John Macarthur. This became Elizabeth Macarthur's Seven Hills farm - later known as Bella Vista.
1802 Southern LGAs Caley traced the Nepean from Wallacia to Camden
1802 Baulkham Hills Castle Hill Government Farm established as a convict farm
1802 Blue Mts Ensign Francis Barrallier travels west from the Wollondilly River, almost as far as the Kanangra Plateau
1802 Blacktown Governor King reserved a vast area (about 58,000 acres) at Rooty Hill between Eastern Creek and Rope's Creek for a government stock reserve
1803 Camden John Warby appointed government herdsman at the Cowpastures
1803 Parramatta St Johns Church Parramatta opened
1803 Parramatta Coach service established between Sydney and Parramatta
1803 Parramatta Government Water Mill built on Parramatta River
1804 Baulkham Hills; Blacktown A convict uprising at Castle Hill by Irish convicts who marched on Parramatta, then back to the Hawkesbury looking for supporters. Their military encounter with the New South Wales Corps was known as the Battle of Vinegar Hill.
1804 Hawkesbury First vessel built on the Hawkesbury - Jonathan Griffiths of Richmond.
1804 Liverpool Grant to Eber Bunker at Collingwood
1804 Liverpool Grant to Thomas Moore at Moorebank
1804 Camden John Macarthur granted 5,000 acres by Lord Camden, which he selected at the Cowpastures.
1804 Baulkham Hills Building of first flour mill at Arndell's Cattai farm
1804 Parramatta First publicly owned brewery began operations in Parramatta
1804 Blue Mts George Caley travelled as far as Mount Banks (now Mount King George)
1805 Camden Macarthur moved his flocks to Camden Park (named after Lord Camden, Secretary for Colonies) and established a hut on the Benkennie ridge (later Belgenny), away from the floods. - slab hut, bark roof. Remained nucleus of working farm at Camden
1806 Penrith Grime's map of the colony indicated there was no road westward from Parramatta and Prospect, even though there were settlers on the small farms of South Creek and the eastern bank of the Nepean.
1806 Penrith Land grants by Bligh to the family of Governor King established a substantial network of landholdings north of the Western Road between Prospect and Penrith, reinforced by later grants to other family members.
1807 Auburn John Blaxland takes up grant called Newington on Parramatta River
1807 Auburn Salt making at Newington under Mr Rutter
1807 Baulkham Hills First commercial sale of oranges from Baulkham Hills
1809 Hawkesbury Ebenezer Chapel built - the oldest Presbyterian Church in Australia