May: meeting called by Sydney merchant F.W. Unwin to form the Great Southern and Western Railway Company, to build a railway from Sydney to Goulburn and Windsor.
1848 June: The Legislative Council agreed to assist with grants of Crown Land along the routes
1849 November: the Liverpool Provisional Tram and Railway Committee formed to support the Sydney Railway Committee. They favoured a western line from Parramatta to Windsor and Bathurst, and a southern line to Liverpool, Campbelltown and Camden.
1850 First sod turned for the railway to Parramatta on 3rd July in the Cleveland Paddock, close to Central Station. Construction undertaken by the Sydney Railway Company.
1855 Railway opened to Parramatta Junction (Granville) on 26th September. It was 16 miles (27 km) long. Initially the railway was unpopular because the price of fares was high and services were slow. However, it had a significant impact on Parramatta's development because it opened up the southern end of town to increased economic possibilities. As a result, Church Street took on a greater importance and today is still considered to be Parramatta's main street.
1856 1st September: line from Granville to Liverpool opened. 400 passengers on first trip. Fairfield station is the only stop along the route.
1858 May 4th: railway to Campbelltown opened.
July 10th: first railway accident in Australia, at Haslem's Creek
October: The Hon. Charles Cowper turned the first sod for the extension to Blacktown, near present Parramatta station
1859 Station opened at Haslem's Creek
1860 First trains run to Blacktown
1862 Rooty Hill station opened
1863 Western line to Penrith completed
Seven Hills station completed
Zig zag and viaduct at Lapstone begun
1864 November 29th: Governor Sir John Young officially opens the line to Richmond.
1865 Knapsack viaduct and Lapstone Zig zag completed
1867 June 17th: First train to the Blue Mountains: headed for Wentworth Falls
1868 February 7th: HRH Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, makes a rail excursion to The Weatherboard Falls (Wentworth Falls)
May: the western railway reaches Mount Victoria
1869 Railway opened through to Goulburn from Liverpool
September: Glenfield and Ingleburn stations opened
October 18th: first trains descend the western escarpment via the Great Zig Zag, finishing at Bowenfels
1870 Racecourse Station (Clarendon) opened
1871 Schofield's siding completed
1872 Douglas' Siding (Quaker's Hill) platform opened
1874 May: Campbellfields (Minto) station opened
1875 May: Campbelltown residents petition NSW Parliament against the sale of alcohol in railway refreshment rooms
1876 April 13th: Guildford station opened
October 21st: goods siding at Auburn authorised
Western line reaches Bathurst
1877 Auburn station completed
1878 July 6th: Merrylands station opened
1880 Toongabbie platform opened
1881 Mount Druitt station opened
1882 10th March, Campbelltown to Camden railway opened
1883 March: Westmead station opened T.R. Smith's platform (Wentworthville) opened
1885 Harris Park station opened
August 1st: T.R. Smith's platform renamed Wentworthville
1892 July 5th: Clyde Railway Workshops commenced operations
A new line is opened bypassing the Lapstone zig-zag.
1896 April 16th: line to Carlingford opened
1897 May 26th: branch line to Rookwood completed
1901 1st August: Railway Commissioners purchase the Carlingford branch.
1910 The new western line, bypassing the Great Zig Zag, is opened
1911 Branch to State Brickworks opened.
1912 November 11th: first passenger service from Rookwood (Lidcombe) to Regents Park
1913 May: The Glenbrook deviation, bypassing the Knapsack Gully viaduct, opened
1914 Wooden platforms removed from Parramatta Park station
1916 Enfield Goods line opened
1917 Branch line constructed into the Military Camp, built by detainees at the German Concentration Camp, Holsworthy.
1922 Marayong station opened
1923 January 28th: Railway from Parramatta to Castle Hill opened (converted from tramway)
1924 "Bond's Platform" (Pendle Hill) opened, and named after Pendleton, Lancashire
February 6th: new station opened at Berala
October 19th: Lidcombe to Cabramatta line opened, with platforms at Villawood and Carramar.
November 24th: Castle Hill railway extended to Rogan's Hill
1925 26th October: a siding was opened for Sydney & Suburban Quarries Ltd. from Fairfield to Prospect, serving the Widemere Quarry.
1926 November 8th: rail extension from Richmond to Kurrajong opened.
1927 November 6th: Yennora station opened
1928 Electrification of the Sydney to Parramatta link.
October: Flemington Car Sidings opened
January 28th: Parramatta to Rogan's Hill (Castle Hill) railway closed.
1935 July 17th: Vineyard station opened
1939 July 2nd: East Richmond station opened
1948 Clyburn station (private platform) opened
April 3rd: last funeral train to Rookwood
1952 May 7th: railway accident at Berala
June 26th: Richmond to Kurrajong line closed
1955 Electrification of the western line to Blacktown
1957 Electrification of the western line to Penrith
1963 1st January: Camden line closed
1968 May 4th: official opening of electrified line to Campbelltown
1975 May 22nd: Electrification of the line from Blacktown to Riverstone opened
1977 January 18th: Granville train disaster
1985 July: Macarthur station opened
1987 East Hills to Glenfield rail link completed
1991 August 17th: Electrification from Riverstone to Richmond opened
1990s The Y-Link rail line between Merrylands and Harris Park opened, allowing direct train travel between the western and southern lines.
2000 Rail loop to Olympic Games site opens