The Macarthur family commercially produced wine at Camden Park from the early 1800s. Brandy was also produced. Grape vines were planted at Minchinbury in 1859 by Dr Charles McKay and he won three awards at the International Exhibition held in Sydney in 1879. The property was purchased in 1912 by the Penfolds Wine Company with Leo Buring as the wine maker. Wines were produced at Minchinbury until 1978, even though grapes were not grown after 1953. Various sized wineries operated at different times in Parramatta, Fairfield, and the Hawkesbury during the 19th & 20th century.
Some horses arrived in 1788 with the First Fleet but it was some time before they flourished. Horses were a valuable asset used for transport and in agriculture, they were also utilised as a form of leisure and racing developed as a popular sport. Breeding horses was a profitable industry and there were notable stud farms in the Hawkesbury, Prospect, Kirkham and Mulgoa from the early 19th century.
Several plant nurseries were established in Western and South Western Sydney including Camellia Grove at Pennant Hills which commenced in 1852 and the State Nursery at Campbelltown in 1881, which was established to supply community groups, public works, schools etc with trees and shrubs, it was closed in 1930.
During the nineteenth century, poultry were mostly kept for domestic use and it did not become a commercial industry until around the turn of the century. Areas involved in the poultry industry included Castle Hill, Homebush, Silverwater, Toongabbie, Rydalmere, St. John's Park, Fairfield area, Blacktown district and the Hawkesbury.