Brief outline of Hawkesbury's Railway Service

An extension of the Sydney to Parramatta railway line was discussed as early as 1843. Following the extension of the line to Blacktown in 1860 the community pressured the Government and money was eventually set aside in the budget in 1862. Originally the line was going to be a horse-drawn service however there was a lot of opposition and at the proclamation in 1863 the change was announced.

The line was officially opened by Sir John Young, the Governor of New South Wales, on the 29th November 1864 with stations at Riverstone, Mulgrave, Windsor and Richmond. When the need grew, other stations opened at various times :-

The railway line was electrified to Riverstone on the 22nd May 1975 and following long delays and debate, the extension continued to Richmond, officially opening on the 17th August 1991.

During the 1880s the community proposed that the rail service be extended to Kurrajong. In 1924 the first sod was turned and the line was officially opened to Kurrajong on the 8th November 1926. The line ran at a loss and following flood damage and land slides the line was officially closed in 1952.

Barney Morley on the 'Surprise' in the 1940s, which transported both passengers & produce on the Hawkesbury River.
Source : Hawkesbury City Council Library Service

Richmond Railway Station in the late 1950s.
Source : Hawkesbury City Council Library Service

* More about the Richmond-Kurrajong Railway Line http://www.angelfire.com/id/alana/Index1.html

Hawkesbury Heritage / Stan Stevens
Macquarie Country / Douglas Gordon Bowd
Hawkesbury 1794 - 1994 / Jan Barkley & Michelle Nichols